The History of The Bethany Hope Centre

1140 Wellington St. 2013

Historically,  the Salvation Army has been committed to ministering to young single women in need, both expectant and new mothers in Ottawa over the past century, Although aspects of this ministry have changed (significantly to include the needs of young fathers and couples) , both the practical aspects of this service and its spiritual motivation have remained constant.


Prior to 1913

Originally, it was known as a children's home - Redemption House.

1913

Bethany Home was established by The Salvation Army as a maternity home.


1925

Bethany Home moved to its Hintonburg site on Wellington St West.

1933

Bethany transitioned into a maternity home, in partnership with the Grace Hospital located next door.


1994-1995

Bethany Home faced a financial crisis which resulted in the closure of its residential beds. Bethany joined in partnership with other agencies, including St. Mary's Home, Youville Centre, Zonta Centre for Young/Single Parents and Emily Murphy Non-Profit Housing to form the Young/Single Parents Support Network* in 1995.  The Bethany Hope Centre began services to young parent families.


2013

The Bethany Hope Centre moved to it's current location on 820 Woodroffe.

*The Young/Single Parents Support Network continues with four of its founding agencies, (minus Zonta which has since closed) and is supported with program enhancement by  Brighter Futures for Children of Young Parents funded by the Ministry of Health.